Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holiday Eating

My girlfriend Aubrey asked me if I planned on eating Paleo over Thanksgiving- I would like to say that I have an entire Paleo Thanksgiving spread planned out and I wish I had some amazing recipes for you... unfortunately this is not the case.

One of the things that has helped me change my eating habits and stick to Paleo is that I don't deprive myself to the point I look at eating this way as something difficult or "bad." Too often we get stuck in this mentality of constantly depriving ourselves on the newest fad diet and then we feel guilty for not having the self control to stick to it so we quit and move on to the next one.

For me, being able to stick with Paleo and adopting it as an entire change in my lifestlyle I've learned to give myself cheat days for those times when I'm really craving something...this clearly includes holidays.

I will however take this time to share a favorite Fall recipe, Spaghetti Squash Bolognese


Ingredients:
1lb ground white meat turkey 
1 Spaghetti Squash

2 sliced of Pancetta 

1 can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
1 carrot, shredded.
1 celery stalk, chopped finely 
1 onion, minced 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
Basil 

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 375. Next, cut the squash in half and scoop out seeds. I prefer to bake mine, rind side up, for 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, you can microwave is for 6-8 minutes or boil it for about 20 minutes. 

While your squash is cooking, you can start on the sauce. Add Pancetta slices to a medium sized sauté pan and cook until crispy on medium high heat. Remove from pan onto a paper towel. Add 1 table spoon of Olive Oil to the pan and sauté carrot, onion, garlic, and celery until translucent. Turn heat to low and add crushed tomatoes and simmer for an hour or so. 

Once the spaghetti squash has cooled use a fork to scrape the edges to loosen the strands. (This will make sense once you start doing it and it will look just like spaghetti). 

Next, add the squash to the sauce and let is sit for a few minutes to absorb the flavor. Add fresh basil and serve...I like to serve mine in the squash shell.